Sunday, August 31, 2008

The night before Otago

Today I organised some last things for the trip to Otago. Myself and the Ku's plus 3 students are going on a vision trip down there for the next week to experience life on their campus ministry and see if there's any outreach ideas we can bring back to the Waikato.

I took a break from normal work today and did some games programming in the morning. Then I went grocery shopping and listened to a couple of sermons on the gifts of Exhortation and Discerning of spirits. I found 23 hours of preaching on my computer about the gifts of the Spirit and the Holy Spirit in the believer by Pastor Chuck Smith of Calvary Chapel. It will be interesting to hear an in-depth pentecostal view on this theology now that I have researched the cessationist view (the miraculous gifts are no longer in use).

Tonight I write a devotional to share with the team one morning down in Otago. The devotional is on 1 Th 5:16-18 "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

I went to church tonight and Parachute Band were there playing. They were loud. I enjoyed it, but was dissapointed there was very little preaching of the Word. After church we had some fellowship at Lucy's place. Lucy and Katie made us gormet pizza. Thepizzas had random toppings - spaghetti, brocolli and cheese sauce, carrot,... hilarious! There was even a dessert pizza. I really enjoyed it! Fun times!

For some reason I have been distancing myself from people more than normal recently. I just don't seem to have anything to say around them. It's slightly depressing. I don't understand myself sometimes...
I always have this conscious desire in me to do huge things for Christ, and when I'm doing simple things that Christ even commands us to do, I feel like it's not enough. I'm finding it hard to live in the moment I guess - my focus seems to be on the future. I feel like I don't fully belong anywhere really, and I'm pretty misunderstood. Yet at the same time, I know I'm where I'm meant to be by the call of God. I guess feelings can be deceiving sometimes.

1 comment:

Jeremy Sargent said...

Its all part of the journey my friend. When God deposits a dream in our heart and spirit ,we carry such huge dreams inside us around,we often tend to live it that place emotionally,and tend to distance ourselves in fear of being misunderstood. Its the power of leverage . We live in the tension between our current reality and our future potential. The balance is this 10 steps ahead of people we are a marter and one step ahead we are a model.

The journey is learning to live between the two. But the bottom line is this
We use ministry to build people ,not people to build the ministry.