Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Ryan's daily prayer

This is a prayer that I read every now and again (I say daily but realistically it's biweekly). It's not like a formula or anything, but it helps me to remember aspects of God that I want to thank him for, and reflections of God that I want to be in my life. For example, we can't be both pursuing comfort in life and suffering for Christ, but indeed we are called to suffer (1 Peter 4:1). However, SO often I am tempted to flee suffering and sacrifice, and set my desires on the comforts and pleasures this world offers instead of keeping my armor on.


Lord, help me to embrace suffering and not pursue comfort in this life. Give me a heart that is willing to endure through life and death for you. Make me strong in the midst of spiritual battles that I can’t see.

Thank you for your wounds, taken for me; they are your glorious trophies and honour.
Thank you for your sacrificial love; who am I that you gave your life for me? Thank you that you are faithful because your word says you are. Thank you for showing me new mercies and kindness each morning. Thank you for your generosity.

Thank you for your justice that will come. Thank you for your discipline and your correction. Thank you for your continually refining work within in, perfecting me for your glory.

Thank you for your absolute holiness.

Thank you for your Spirit, revealing your infinite love and empowering me to witness. I ask you to search the depths of my heart and reveal what’s in me that is not pleasing to you so that I can confess it. Thank you that by doing so you are faithful and just to forgive me.

Fill me, lead me, and empower me with your Spirit. Help me to take every opportunity I can for the gospel. May everything I do glorify your name, and may your presence always be with me. May I be found blameless in you when you come again in wrath and vengeance. Amen.

No comments: