Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Learn theology from credible professors for free online

I've stumbled across one of the most sound theological resources on the internet. After seeing so much crap out there by people with no qualifications whatsoever, I finally found a website which has recorded whole courses at leading seminaries and divinity schools around the world. The website http://www.biblicaltraining.org/ is funded by donations alone, and is costing tens of thousands to finish (they want a proper curriculum up).

Every speaker on the website has a doctorate in theology. As an academic, this is particularly important for me. There are so many people out there with their own interpretations of the bible (my blog is probably one of them). Having a qualification in theology means you at least have knowledge of what sound evangelical doctrines are. It's important to be discerning in these end days. I've looked over their in-depth statement of faith and it sounds excellent too. Finally, I can go to harvard divinity school without leaving my bedroom! Stoked!!! The only thing is, I'll be getting the knowledge without getting the qualifications... hmmm..

Can some other people please check it out and let me know your opinions about it (reply to this post). It almost seems too good to be true. Please do check it out properly though instead of writing it off as just another free online source.

4 comments:

James said...

Hey Ryan,

I haven't listened to any of the messages on that site but judging by the names of people involved it sounds great.

Dr. Bill Mounce was one of the greek/NT translators on the ESV bible.

Dr. John Piper is a very well known and very challenging (personally) pastor in the US.

Those are the two I've heard before, some of the other names sound vaguely familiar.

Anyway It sounds like it's pretty good :)

A couple of comments, A) it is probably going to present a 'reformed' theology which isn't at all bad but may be different in some areas to the theology that say Nick would have... (note: I could be completely wrong on this one but thought I'd say that just incase)
B) A PHD doesn't at all guarantee a knowledge of sound evangelical doctrine. I guess you might be able to say that they would have had to a least look at them but It doesn't hold that they would believe them. Many PHD's in theology don't believe in God! Hard to believe I know. I don't think this is the case for 'biblicaltraining.org' though :)

There isn't anything wrong with knowledge without qualifications, but qualifications can help as you were saying here it is encouraging to know that those who are running this site have 'PHDs'. There is nothing to stop you doing recognised qualifications later and you would have what you learn't here as a spring board.


I say go for it, I'm keen to do some as well :)

- James

Ryan O'Connor said...

Awesome man, thanks for your comments. Good to keep in mind that whole PhD thing!

bgirlsnowflake said...

Hey Ryan this is Marni, I followed the link when I stalked you on bebo. Hey I'm gonna check the website out when I get time in the next week, but one that I use is www.studylight.org it's great.

In terms of you not getting a degree in theology, I wouldn't be too worried. You know Billy Graham was kicked out of his youth group for being too worldly, and he was told at best he might be the pastor of a very small church and was almost expelled from his religious school (ask wikipedia lol). I don't C.S. Lewis took any biblical course as well.

There's a scripture I wrote in one of my old diaries when I first became a Christian, and I had questioned God about doing bible training, and I can't find it right now but basically the conclusion of it was that we are taught by the Holy Spirit more than anything.

I study John MacArthur's writings because he is soo in touch with his scriptural knowledge, although I don't agree with his personal belief about pentecostal churches (of course because I go to one!). I don't support Billy Graham's viewpoints on how all the world's religions lead to heaven either, but there's not doubt he is an awesome man of God.

Bible training would be great though, you got a great blog here Ryan!

Unknown said...

Just get yourself a Ph.D. in Religion from the Universal Life Church (www.ulchq.com)